Meandering in Miraval

Meandering in Miraval

Friday, December 12, 2014

Living With Mindfulness And Intent

Lana here--my day started with a healthy low cal breakfast that included a delicious egg white omelette filled with corn, avocado, shiitake mushroom and tomato.  Good thing because my first activity was the Quantum Leap II!--which would turn out to be my most introspective and insightful undertaking of the day!  This challenge activity requires you to climb up a 35 foot pole and stand on a platform with another person, then you both step off the platform to be caught by a rope tied into your full body harness.  Because Randy isn't a big fan of heights--I scheduled this on my own and was hopeful I would be paired off with another single person.

My initial desire to do this challenge was all about climbing the pole and taking the actual step.  But as we walk down to the activity area, our guide Justin asked us to think about our "intention" for this challenge.  What did we want it to symbolize for something in our lives that we wanted to conquer.  I had to give this some thought.  A lot of people do this challenge to get over their fear of heights--but since I don't have this fear, I decided to focus on the "need to let go" and just let things happen.  I would soon come to realize that this challenge would open my eyes to so much more.

We had a small group--only four of us and I was paired with a fellow named Peter from Connecticut.  I liked him immediately--he was warm, friendly, outgoing and has been at Miraval since Monday.  Incidentally he has a fear of heights.  We decided he wanted to climb the pole first--it didn't really matter to me because as I saw it--if you go first, while you have more room to maneuver on the platform, you also have no one to support you with standing up.  Plus you have to stand up there and wait while the other person climbs up and you likely need to help them get up onto the platoform. But if you go second, even with the support of the other person, you only have half the platform to work with and you could accidentally knock the other person off as you are trying to get yourself up.

Thats Peter already standing on top of the platform--and trust me, it looks big in the picture but it's only about one foot by three feet!!!  Climbing up was no problem--in fact, I was so focused on getting the top, I completely forgot about stopping to look around and enjoy the scenery.  About half-way up, Peter looked back and said to me "you should take a moment and just relax, breathe, enjoy the view!"  No truer words have ever been spoken!!  I stopped and in amazement looked around the entire valley where the resort is situated.  It was an amazing sight and I'm so glad I didn't miss it.  I realized in life and work that I'm often so focused on the task at hand that I forget to stop and see what else is going on around me.  And because of this, I likely miss out on enjoying a lot of what is happening.  Note to self--I need to slow down and just take it all in sometimes.


This one is of me working through the logistics of getting myself UP onto the platform.  Somehow looking down from 35 feet while you're doing this doesn't help!!  Oh, did I mention that the pole has a bit of waver to it?  Not a lot, but enough to make you feel unsteady!!  Peter and I decided this was a great metaphor for uncertainty in your life and you need to feel ok with it because not everything goes according to plan.


I manage to negotiate standing up--another nerve wracking task especially when there's another human being standing next to you and you don't want to knock them off the platform.  I was able to place my hand on Peter's right foot to steady myself.  Then my hand moved to his knee--I did ask him first if it was ok to do this--to get my feet underneath me so I was able to stand up.  The feeling of actually standing up is a huge sense of accomplishment because it feels kind of impossible when you're up there.


We decide on a count down and both step off at the same time saying the mantra "to new beginnings".  The free fall is something else.  I'm used to falling off the wall in the rock climbing gym but your partner catches you in a split second.  As I'm falling, I'm waiting to feel the rope tighten.  I swear, I can feel every second of my fall--like it's in slow motion--and I realize how quickly I'm moving towards the ground.  And still no tension from the harness.  I can feel a scream starting to build up in my throat!!!  After what seems like forever, the safety rope catches and I'm suspended in mid-air--still trying to get that scream out :)

To say this was an exhilarating experience would be an understatement.  To say I've realized I need to relax more, stop and enjoy what's happening around me and be mindful = in the moment, would be putting it mildly.

It's hard to look at the rest of the day after starting off this with activity.  But I did also do an aqua box-ercise class--pretty fun and intense workout wearing water-wing gloves and using a styrofoam noodle!!  At one point I think to myself, hmmmmm, this styrofoam noodle might be the closest thing to a carbohydrate I can eat here at Miraval.


From Randy:  There are so many choices at Miraval. My decision was to begin my day with an "off-property 5.5 hour hike" for great exercise and to test my potential hiking boots for Mount Everest trek in late March 2015. It was a beautiful sunny and warm day today. Highs around 24 degrees Celsius. There were two trail guides; TJ and a young woman. A couple from Chicago; Bob and Deanna were the other two Miraval hikers. We were provided backpacks with lots of bottled water and some snacks/sandwich. We left in a van around 8 am and returned to the resort about 1:15 pm.

Bob and I hiked with TJ (26 year old guy) and he was super fast. Mostly uphill into a desert canyon walking on rocks for the most part. Not an easy trail for humans, but goats would do well. The ladies lagged behind quickly and we didn't meet up with them until we were on our way back. Due to the fast pace, Bob and I got sweaty quickly and gasping for air. Lots of cactus and the occasional spring fed small pond. No wildlife sighted. I love the desert so it was so much fun and great exercise. Good discussions with Bob and TJ along the way. We hiked about 7 kms in and then back out again.

The hiking boots worked pretty well.

Bob on the left and TJ on the right

Cactus farm?

Just have to show examples of the incredible variety and size of the cacti.



Lana and I met up in the room and then at 2 pm it was our "Duet Mindful Relationships" guided by Lisa. Basically, discussion of "mindfulness as applied to our relationship." Yes, thats right. Good to be in the moment when talking with your spouse with no distractions or focus on something else. A good tool to enhance communication skills and ensuring your statements are heard and understood.

Lana decided to grab a much needed afternoon nap while I attended "Optimal Posture Assessment" by Pam in the gym for 3:30 pm. Wow, this was fantastic. Pam assessed my posture which is sloped in shoulders and a head leaning too far forward. Poor upper back muscles and weak core. Pam has a strong background in pilates. She provided a number of floor exercises, but it was cut short of the 50 minute time by a 4 pm class. I will return tomorrow to complete the session. Very educational, informative with excellent exercises I can perform at home.

Check out a few of the cacti located on the sprawling Miraval grounds and pathways.



Our final activity for today was "Floating Meditation Class" located in the Agave Centre. We had thought floating meant in a swimming pool, but it is floating via hammocks. Lisa was our instructor. Lana got motion sickness and then claustrophobia so this class wasn't a success for her. You basically lie on your back full out in the hammock. Lisa comes by occasionally to push you so you are gently swinging back and forth. She covers the seven Chakras using her voice and the Chakra sound bowls. Very comforting and the feeling of freedom in the hammock. Very unique approach to meditating.



Fortunately, Lana had a fantastic "Relaxation Massage" with Clinton just prior to the floating meditation class. She came to the Agave Centre smelling like any spa attendee and a bright glow on her face. She was so relaxed.  :-)

We walked to the main building in the dark for our dinner. The pathways have some ground lighting, but they provide each room with a flashlight which really helps. Unlike Lana's walk to the Agave Centre where she fell off the side of the pathway making a wrong step all was good. We enjoyed another healthy and tasty four course dinner. Great choices for appetizers, then an entrée and then dessert. We ran into Lana's Quantum Leap II partner Peter after dinner so it was good to meet the fellow who helped her great leap forward.

What a glorious day of sunshine and warmth today in the Arizona sun. Tomorrow will be rainy. Before I forget another great feature is the fact you can pickup a free NY Times and USA Today newspaper early in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment