Meandering in Miraval

Meandering in Miraval

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Well, this is going to be a challenge, . . .

We started our second full day at Miraval with our daily schedules booked with activities.  Just a quick explanation of how things work here--Miraval offers many workshops, exercise sessions, lectures and wellness sessions each day.  Some of these sessions are free, others require the use of your "resort credits" which you get when you book.  Depending on what you want to do, you may have option to do it in a group setting or as a private session.  And today we found out, depending on the weather, things may get cancelled or postponed due to rain.

The weather forecast was predicting cooler temperatures and rain today so we weren't sure what kind of impact this would have.  We looked out our patio doors and both commented that it seems like Vancouver rain--and not just a passing drizzle.  Randy had organized to go on a Mountain Biking (Intermediate) excursion at 11 am, but upon speaking with the guide (Justin), he was concerned about the cold and degradation of the desert trail due to the heavy moisture and recommended that they reschedule for tomorrow morning instead.  So onto Plan B for Randy.  For me, I had signed up for the Desert Tight Rope challenge.  My guide Matt indicates that while the ropes would be wet and we'd be cold, this wouldn't stop the event from taking place as scheduled.  I talk Randy into coming along to be my event photographer!!

The Desert Tight Rope challenge requires you to climb up a ladder and balance onto a rope suspended between two poles.  You need to figure out a way to traverse across this rope using only other hanging ropes for balance!!  As I'm looking up at the rope structure, I find myself asking why I wanted to do this challenge in the first place as it dawns on  me that it's going to be a lot harder than I thought. Matt tells us that it's not about making to the other end--there's no checkered flag on the other side. Some people make it all the way across, some people don't.  If you fall, you fall and that's ok--because in life, sometimes you just need to go with it as it happens.

I didn't draw the short straw but because I'm not usually one to go first--I end up having to be the one who goes first out of the group of three of us taking this challenge.



The first few ropes are relatively close together and not difficult to physically reach.  I quickly realize that's the easy part right now.  The hard part is balancing on the rope.  It sways and is slippery and somehow my running shoes transform into lead bricks on my feet--at least that's what they feel like.


Before climbing up, I do notice that the 6th and 7th ropes have the biggest gaps on the course.  By the time I reach the 6th rope, my hands are beginning to chafe from the wetness and cold.  In fact, at one point, I realize my left hand is now numb.  Oh-oh!!  I still have the biggest gap left to cross.


I fall off trying for the 7th rope--and it happens fast!!! One minute I'm trying to get my balance, the next minute, I feel my feet slipping out from underneath me and I'm dangling in mid-air.  Matt asks me what happened and I say "there was a moment in my head when I looked at how far the next rope was and I said I can't do this!"  I immediately tried to erase this thought from my head as I know it's the worst thing you can do to yourself. Matt tells me the next time I start to tell myself I can't do something, I need to tell myself "well, this is going to be a challenge" instead.  And he's so right.  We are always our own worst enemies and harder on ourselves than we need to be. Words of wisdom from a complete stranger that I've only known for 30 minutes.  He tells me I was brave to go first and thanks me because with my attempt, the other two people doing the challenge will have the benefit of my experience.

After this, I head to the spa for some quiet reflective time before I have a Lymphatic Drainage Massage.  I am mentally and physically exhausted from this challenge and end up as a lump wearing my bathrobe sitting in a lounge chair in the quiet room at the spa.

My lymphatic drainage treatment (12 pm -> 1 pm) starts with a complete skin exfoliation so that the treatment oil can better penetrate into my skin.  After the skin exfoliation, I am treated with three layers of lotions meant to encourage lymphatic drainage and flushing of toxin from my system.  The massage technique for lymphatic drainage is very gentle, short strokes in the areas where we have lymph glands.  I'm told to drink plenty of water for the rest of the day and to leave the lotions on my skin for as long as possible. I leave smelling like flowers and herbs with very soft skin!!

My last class for the day is called Roll With It!! (3 pm -> 3:45 pm) It's a stretching and self-massage technique that involves using an oblong foam roll.  You may have seen these at the gym.  I've used one before in pilates class but this class is all about using only your body weight and the pressure of the roll to identify areas of muscle tension and to draw blood and oxygen to help relieve the build up of knots.  It's a fascinating class taught by Pam--the same person who does Randy's posture assessment.  This is definitely a no pain, no gain class as the groaning becomes quite loud from everyone in the class during the self-massage technique.  We only have time to work on the large muscle groups but after only working on one leg--Pam asks us to sit on our mats with our legs in front of us.  We all notice that one leg is now straighter and more relaxed than the other. This technique is great for the ham-strings, the glutes, the quads and the IT band.  We also use the roller on our backs and shoulder blades.  After 45 minutes, I'm converted and can't believe how different my muscles feel!!

Randy here: Given the cancellation of my Mountain Biking and the fact we slept in by mistake (missed my morning Meditation class) I needed to make changes to my itinerary for today and tomorrow. I did get up to the spa for a quick sauna before my 11 am bike that didn't occur. I met Lana for lunch before she sprinted off for her massage.

I scheduled myself for the Balance (free) class from 1 pm to 1:45 pm. It happened that the other two were ladies that we had encountered at other classes. I know that I really need to work on my balance and fortunately the instructor recognized that everyone's balance lessens with age. Most of the exercises were very challenging and I would teeter and fall over and/or lose my balance. No surprise! Definitely need to work on strengthening my core and focusing on improving my balance. As you can see Lana was a good photographer.




I scheduled the last part of my abbreviated Optimal Posture Assessment with Pam Trudeau from 2 pm to 2:40 pm in the same room. Pam is an expert in posture and has quite an advanced education in pilates. I have rounded shoulders and a head that pushes forward. All this is from poor rhomboid (upper back) muscles and a weak core. We went through a number of exercises that were very hard and in some cases impossible for me.



No I can't lift my arms even 1" off the floor.

In pushup position, but no push up but clench your butt muscles.

Next it was working with a strap that you needed to put pressure on as pulling it apart. Sounds easy? Nope. Try putting it behind you or in any position. I purchased a strap so I can work on these exercises when I have improved my posture with the floor work.



At 3 pm, I had my Abhyanga (Ayurvedic Indian ancient healing massage treatment) spa treatment. Basically lots of oils massaged into all parts of my body during the 45 minutes. The massage felt good and then I hit the sauna for 20 minutes of intense heat. Grabbed a shower and then some water and granola while I sat on a soft chaise lounge. The spa facilities are divided by male and female (at least the showers/lockers/sauna/steam bath/jacuzzi etc.). Very quiet on the male side as there are not many men at Miraval and not many interested in the spa. Very relaxing and I met up with Lana outside in the spa "quiet room" to read the NY Times and relax some more.

Eventually, we headed back to our room. Took it easy and then made it to our restaurant reservation for 6:45 pm to meet up with the three people (I-Shan and her husband Seaver + Peter) involved in Lana's first experience at Miraval being the Quantum Leap II. It was excellent to meet these three Miraval attendees who shared the Quantum Leap with Lana. Very interesting discussion over our usual four course meal. Inclusive of Lana, all four have gained so many personal insights and self-discovery.

It is really cold tonight. About 8 degrees although the good news is no more rain and the forecast for Sunday is sunny. The rain really changed our plans, but we continued to enjoy our stay and each of the activities. Time seems to be flying by.

No comments:

Post a Comment